The Dubai Metro is a driver-less, fully automated metro rail network in Dubai. The Red Line and Green Line are operational, with three further lines planned.
Dubai Metro is an initiative by Dubai Roads and Transports Authority (RTA) to cut traffic congestion from the roads, while providing affordable and efficient mass transit system to the public of Dubai.
Some interesting facts about Dubai Metro:
– Dubai Metro was launched on September 09, 2009 at 09:09:09 by HRH Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum, Ruler of Dubai.
– Guinness World Records has declared Dubai Metro as the world’s longest fully automated metro network, spanning at 75 kilometers.
– Sleeping in Dubai Metro is a crime and results in Dhs 300 fine.
– Eating and drinking in Dubai Metro is not allowed at all the times. Breaking your fast in Dubai Metro, even during Ramadan, will impose a fine on you.
– Dubai Metro Green Line served 37 million passengers in 2012.
– RTA has recently started a promotion to give away iPhones to lucky Metro riders.
– If you are using a Nol Silver card and spend Dhs 14 in a day on your Metro or Dubai Bus travel, then all subsequent travel in that particular day will be free. [source]