Did you know that faulty tires contribute to 5 percent of all the accidents in Dubai?
Amid the soaring temperature in the UAE, every motorist should make it a priority to get the car tires properly checked before hitting the road. Ensure that the car is maintained as per the recommended levels if you don’t want your car insurance to get invalidated at the time of making the claim.
There are certain components in a vehicle, which are more prone to wear and tear and tires are one of them. Properly maintained car tires enhance the performance and reliability of a vehicle.
To make it easier for you, here’s a quick rundown of some of the basic parameters that you should be taking care of –
1. Abrasion – Frequently check the condition of all the four tires to find out any routine or abnormal wear and tear. Look for any noticeable signs like deep cracks, rough tyres and uncovered cables.
It is essential to check the tread depth of the tyres regularly and get it checked at a workshop to ensure safety. It is important for car tires to hold the ground properly in all the weather conditions – be it wet, dry, hot or snow conditions. This is where the tire tread plays its role.
Usually, car manufacturers today maintain tread patterns to offer you a comfortable drive in all the weather conditions. But it’s advisable that you check the depth of your car tires to keep the grip in unfavorable road conditions as well.
For a passenger car, it is required to have a minimum tread depth of 1.6mm.
If you check the main tread grooves you will find small ribs across the bottom of these grooves. It is time to replace them if you find the tread surface getting at level with these ribs. If your car is old and you realize that your car tires do not have the required tread wear indicators, you should think about getting a new set. It might be expensive but it’s inevitable.
2. Optimal Pressure – Make it a monthly task to check the pressure of your car tires. The wear and tear of the tires is a common problem and if your tires are not inflated properly it can impact the car’s performance, fuel consumption capacity, and overall car handling.
Correctly inflated tires increase the mileage, ensure safety and optimal fuel consumption. If the tires are under-inflated it causes unnecessary flexing, wear and tear of the casing and the tread shoulders. This will lead to excessive fuel consumption, longer breaking distance and reduce the grip on the road. It will further increase the risk of tire rupturing
Check all the four tires including the spare one. If you will check the pressure when the tires are warm, then you can add 0.3 bar to the recommended level. You can find the recommended tire pressure in the manual or near the door latch on the driver’s side of the car.
It is recommended that you check the pressure of the tires when they are cold. This will help to obtain the exact measurement. Usually, car tires get the normal temperature within 2 hours of driving.
3. Alignment – The wheels of a car can get misaligned due to numerous factors. Make sure that the tires are rotated timely, aligned and balanced as per the manual instructions. Have the alignment and wheel balancing checked at the nearby workshop or garage. Some petrol pumps also offer this service.
4. Balance – Ensure that the tires are properly balanced. If you find any vibrations while driving the car, this can be a sign that the tires are not properly balanced.
Have them checked at the nearby workshop to ensure your safety. If not taken care of it can put stress on the suspension and lead to untimely wear and tear of the tires.
5. Rotation – The recommended level is 5000km. So, get your tires rotated as per your car manufacturer’s recommendation. Usually, tires are switched from front to rear to optimize the wear and tear on all the tires and reduce the friction.
6. Speed Rating – Car speed rating is indicative of the maximum tire speed suitable when the car is at full load. If you keep using your car tires at the wrong speed, it can invalidate your car insurance. It is crucial to check the exact speed rating; you can check it from your car manual or do it online as well.
7. Suspension – Suspension of a car is an important factor to increase the friction between the tires. Wear and tear of the shock absorbers and springs can hamper the steering stability and overall handling of the vehicle. That’s why it is essential to be alert about the suspension parts of your car.
8. Changing the Flat tire – Take the car to a reliable garage or workshop to get the flat tires checked. The car dealer will fix the damage and let you know if it is required to be repaired or not.
Over to You!
Maintaining your car is relatively easy if the tires are in shape. At the core of the afore-mentioned basic maintenance tips that are mentioned in the car manual, it is required for you as a motorist to perform a variety of actions yourself or get it done from a car dealer. This is to ensure a comfortable drive, safety and to avoid cancellation of car insurance claim due to ill-maintained vehicle conditions.
Image is for illustration only