So you are in Dubai, got your hands on a car and planning to go for a ride. But, do you have a valid UAE driving license? If not, think twice before getting behind the wheel because driving in Dubai without a license is a serious criminal offence.
According to Article no. 51 of the Traffic Law No. 21 of 1995, as amended by Federal Law No.12 of 2007, driving in Dubai without a license is a punishable crime with a penalty of imprisonment not exceeding 3 month and a fine not more than Dh6,000, or one of these penalties, shall be applied to those who drive in the road without driver’s licence or having a licence which is not authorised to drive this type of vehicle.
Traffic fines in Dubai related to driving license:
- Allowing others to drive a vehicle for which they are unlicensed (Dhs 500)
- Violating the terms of the driving license (Dhs 300)
- Driving a taxi without required license (Dhs 200, 4 Black Points)
- Driving with an expired driving license (Dhs 200, 3 Black Points)
- Driving unlicensed vehicle (Dhs 200, Vehicle confiscated for 7 days)
- Not showing driving license when required (Dhs 200)
- Not carrying driving license while driving (Dhs 100)
Driving through red traffic signal may cause a loss of driving license if the driver is involved in an accident.